Observed by more than 70 countries, daylight saving time affects more than a billion people every year. In the US, daylight saving time was initially implemented as a wartime measure, an adaptation set in place to conserve natural resources.1 Today, proponents suggest moving clocks ahead gives people more time to enjoy shopping, restaurants, and other activities during daylight hours. But it seems there’s a price to pay.
Our return to standard time in the fall can trigger a range of potential consequences of its own. The first night is easy. But as daylight saving time ends, new troubles begin. In the days and weeks that follow, your internal clock and daily routine are out of sync. Your schedule might dictate that it’s time to turn in for the night, yet your body could refuse to cooperate. Not only could you lose many hours of precious sleep, but shifting time back an hour can also take a considerable toll on your moods and emotions. If resetting the clock tends to throw you off balance, consider investing in the sleep-promoting potential of hemp-derived CBD.
Setting the Clock Back Can Disrupt Your Circadian Rhythms
The internal mechanism that regulates hormonal release, body temperature, digestion, eating habits, and your sleep-wake cycle typically runs on a 24-hour schedule. Although it may initially seem quite harmless to shift your clock back an hour in the fall, it takes a while to reset your central pacemaker to accommodate time changes. This master clock, your circadian rhythms, regulates the production of melatonin, a hormone that accumulates in your brain and signals your body that it’s time to sleep.3
Once disturbed by daylight saving time, even seemingly minor changes to your sleep patterns can disrupt other processes influencing sleep quality. Your body may react by producing less of the neurotransmitter that helps your central nervous system compensate for the shortening and lengthening of daylight hours (GABA), too little of the neurotransmitter necessary for the production of melatonin (serotonin), or not enough of the neurotransmitter that helps modulate circadian rhythms and sleep cycles (dopamine).4
How CBD Could Help Restore Essential Balance
When Your body is on one schedule, and your life is on another, hemp-derived CBD could be just what you need to restore essential balance. This safe, natural plant element mimics the effects of several important chemical messengers produced in your body to interacts with the receptors of its largest regulatory system, your endocannabinoid system (ECS). Your ECS is so essential to your overall health and wellbeing that researchers believe its primary function is to regulate the processes of homeostasis, the internal balance all living organisms must maintain. When internal or external forces jeopardize that balance, it’s the processes of homeostasis that restore equilibrium.5
The interaction between the messengers and receptors of your endocannabinoid system influences nearly every essential function in your body, from your moods and emotions to your sleep cycles and circadian rhythms. But that’s not all. This non-intoxicating plant element produces a wide range of effects through its interaction with more than 65 molecular targets.6 This ability to interact with numerous receptors throughout your body explains why CBD users report such a wide range of benefits for such an extensive list of seemingly unrelated concerns. Individual results depend on which essential functions might be restored to balance through ECS support.
Selecting Your Ideal CBD Product Formulated for Sleep Support
Anything that disrupts your normal routine can interfere with your natural sleep cycles. Once you set your clock back an hour, it can be difficult to get your sleep schedule back on track. While there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for every sleep concern, supporting ECS function with CBD could be just what you need to fall asleep quickly and sleep comfortably throughout the night. Although many people report favorable results adding a CBD tincture, capsule, or vape e-liquid to their daily routine, your best option could be one of the following products specifically formulated to help you get the rest you deserve:
CBDistillery™ Broad-Spectrum CBD Sleep Gummies
- Broad-spectrum hemp extracts contain many of the plant terpenes, flavonoids, and additional cannabinoids, as full-spectrum oils, with one important exception. The THC is removed during extraction and processing. Broad-spectrum products are ideal for CBD users interested in the benefit multiplying potential of the entourage effect who prefer avoiding the trace amounts of THC* in full-spectrum hemp extracts. CBDistillery™ Broad Spectrum CBD Sleep Gummies contain 30mg of CBD in each mixed-berry flavored gummy supplement and 2mg of melatonin. With our Broad-Spectrum CBD Sleep Gummies, you could skip the tossing and turning, fall asleep quickly, and wake feeling refreshed and ready to tackle your day.
CBDistillery™ CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture
- CBD is just one of more than 100 plant-based cannabinoids in full-spectrum hemp extract. One of the most intriguing of the minor cannabinoids is CBN (cannabinol). While naturally present in trace amounts in whole-plant extracts, researchers discovered that CBN and CBD paired together promote relaxation and restful sleep without causing morning grogginess.7 We’ve isolated that cannabinoid and boosted the CBN content of our full-spectrum CBD Oil to maximize its sleep-promoting potential. CBDistillery™ CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture contains 450mg of CBD and 150mg of CBN. That breaks down to 5mg of CBN and 15mg of CBD per serving.
Supporting ECS Function and Your Natural Sleep Cycles with CBDistillery™
Many people look forward to gaining an hour of sleep each fall. While it’s natural to assume that gaining an hour of sleep would have a positive impact on your overall wellbeing, resetting your clock to standard time on November first could mean considerably less sleep as your internal clock adjusts. Supporting ECS function with CBD products specifically formulated for nighttime use could help you fall asleep faster, sleep more comfortably, and sync your circadian rhythms to the external time shift.
To learn more about the many potential health and wellness benefits of CBD and other plant-based cannabinoids, feel free to download The Ultimate CBD User Guide at CBDistillery™. Then consider checking out our quality assortment of full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and Pure CBD isolate products. All CBDistillery™ tinctures, topicals, softgels, isolate powders, pet products, and vape e-liquids are sourced from non-GMO, naturally cultivated hemp grown on American soil. Every product is third-party tested to ensure quality, purity, and potency. You can verify the integrity of all CBDistillery™ products by viewing the test results on our product pages or scanning the QR code on your product label.
* Third-party tested to ensure non-detectable levels of THC (less than .05%)
- Time and Date. A Buckle. (2020) History of Daylight Saving Time.
- Know Your Value. J Pepitone. (2018 November 01) Daylight Saving Time: 4 Surprise Effects of “Falling Back.”
- National Institute of General Medical Studies. (2020) What Are Circadian Rhythms?
- Sleep Medicine Clinics. C Watson et al. (2010 December 05) Neuropharmacology of Sleep and Wakefulness.
- Journal of Young Investigators. C Sallaberry, L Astern. (2018 June 01) The Endocannabinoid System, Our Universal Regulator.
- Project CBD. (2020) How CBD Works.
- Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. H Yoshida et al. (1995 February) Synthesis and Pharmacological Effects in Mice of Halogenated Cannabinol Derivatives.